BB Junior Associate Programme
BB JUNIOR ASSOCIATE PROGRAMME
Ballet Black exists to inspire young people, particularly of black or Asian descent, in classical ballet. We believe that ballet, whether pursued as a profession or as a hobby, can instill lifelong skills of discipline, artistry and self-worth. The BB Junior Associate Programme has been devised to help prepare teenaged students for life at vocational dance school. In addition, we offer supplementary support and coaching for older students in full-time professional training in the United Kingdom.
The Programme is aimed at exceptional young women aged 14-16 years, with a strong focus on students of Afro-Caribbean, African and Asian descent. The Programme aims to accelerate and strengthen technical skills and develop a deeper understanding of artistry and musicality in every participant.
Our classes are led by Cassa Pancho, Founder & Artistic Director, and Cira Robinson, Senior Artist and leading ballerina from Ballet Black, as well as other guest artists from the Company and within the wider ballet industry. Sessions will pay special attention to technique, pointe work, stretching and strengthening. Artistry and a greater understanding of performance are taught by learning key pieces of classic repertoire and choreography from Ballet Black’s own award-winning work.
We have 10 spaces available for our first group of Junior Associates. These young women will represent Ballet Black and be ambassadors for this new programme.
Our classes should be seen as complementary to any existing classes the student is attending and not as a replacement.
Our first term will focus on:
- introduction to pointe work including shoe fittings with Freed of London
- body conditioning
- correct placement
- classical technique
- fuller understanding of classical vocabulary
The second term will concentrate on:
- pointe work – centre practice and turns
- intensive technique and increased stamina
- history of ballet
- performance skills
The final term of the year will centre on performance:
- performance & presentation skills
- learning a piece of traditional classical ballet repertoire
- learning a piece of Ballet Black repertoire
The first year of work will culminate in an event as part of the Ballet Black School & Company performance in London in July 2019.
Junior Associate classes take place at Ballet Black Company headquarters in Marylebone and cost £12 per session, paid in termly installments. Fees are non-refundable for any reason, except in the case of serious injury or illness. A doctor’s letter will be required before a refund can be issued. Bursaries are available for students experiencing financial hardship. Please contact us for more details.
If you would like to be considered for a place, beginning in April 2019, please send:
– A covering letter detailing your dance experience to date (schools attended, examinations taken etc) including your age.
– Four photos in leotard and tights in the following positions:
- facing the front in a demi plié, feet in first position
- facing sideways with your leg raised in arabesque
- facing the front with your leg raised in second
- facing the front, tendu devant with arms in second
- If you have a video of yourself dancing, in class, during a performance or just at home, please send us a link
Email the above to [email protected] with ‘BB Junior Associate Programme’ by the 15th of April 2019
The Ballet Black Junior Associate Programme is proudly supported by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation.